- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup plus ⅓ cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into ½-inch cubes
- ½ cup oats
- ½ cup hazelnuts, toasted, chopped
- ½ vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 1 pound strawberries, stems removed and halved (preferably from Rutiz Farms)
- 12 ounces rhubarb, ends trimmed, cut into ½-inch-thick pieces
“We grow varieties such as Chandler, an old, great-tasting standby grown by farmers in California for forty years, and Sabrina and Viva Patricia, two newer varieties coming from Europe...where flavor is considered the #1 priority in strawberry varieties, not necessarily the ability to hold up on the supermarket shelf for 2 weeks, as is the case here in the U.S.” - Farmer Jerry Rutiz, Rutiz Family Farms
For The Crisp:
Preheat oven to 375f. Butter a small casserole dish (approximately 11x7 inches).
Whisk flour, 1/2 cup sugar, and salt in medium bowl. Using hands, work butter in until mixture clumps together. Mix in oats and hazelnuts.
Place 1/2 cup sugar in large bowl. Scrape in seeds from vanilla bean and whisk to blend well. Add strawberries and rhubarb and toss to coat well. Scrape fruit filling into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle oat topping evenly over filling. Bake until filling bubbles and topping is crisp, about 45 minutes. Let cool 15 minutes before serving.