- 1 pound local sausage (optional)
- 1 pound short pasta (e.g. penne, bow ties or the like)
- Olive oil
- Medium onion, chopped
- 3 or 4 cloves garlic, sliced or crushed
- 2–3 pounds kale, chard, spigariello (Italian broccoli leaf ), or Asian greens
- Raspberry balsamic vinegar, or other favorite vinegar (the Spencers like Chaparral Gardens vinegar; ChaparralGardens.com)
- Grated cheese such as Pecorino Romano or parmesan, for serving
Remove sausage from casings and sauté until no longer pink; set aside in a warm place. Cook pasta according to package directions, drain, then toss with a little olive oil and set aside in a warm place. Remove sausage to a plate using a slotted spoon and sauté onion and garlic in pan with sausage drippings over medium heat. (If not using sausage, use olive oil and brown onion and garlic until they begin to caramelize.)
While onion and garlic cook, wash and clean all greens. Strip stems and julienne tender leaves. (If the chard stems are tender they can be sauté with onions and garlic.) Place greens on top of onions and garlic, cover for 2–3 minutes until just limp but still green. Add a glug of vinegar and toss.
Serve in a stack: pasta, greens and sausage (if using). Top with a favorite grated cheese at the table, and season with salt and pepper to taste.