- 1 pound ground beef
- Neutral cooking oil like canola or grapeseed
- 1 red onion, minced
- 1 large Portabella mushroom, gills scraped and minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- kosher salt, to taste
- 1 head of radicchio (Italian chicory), picked into leaves
- Fresh basil leaves, torn or julienned (for garnish)
Brown the beef in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Pour off fat and remove beef from skillet; set aside.
Add 1 tablespoon of oil to the pan and lightly sauté the red onion until the onion caramelizes slightly, about 4 minutes. Scrape up any browned beef bits and mix into the onion. Add the minced mushroom and sauté with the onion, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and mix to combine with the onion and mushroom, then add the beef back to the skillet with the mushroom/onion mixture. Make a small well in the middle of the beef mixture and pour in the vinegar and brown sugar. Allow the vinegar/ sugar to reduce slightly to thicken, then mix thoroughly to incorporate. Season to taste with the red chili flakes and salt.
Serve inside radicchio leaves and garnish with fresh basil.