- 5 slices bacon, chopped
- 3 pounds beef chuck, trimmed and cut into 1” cubes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 11/2 pounds onions, coarsely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 2 cups red wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into strips
- 2 green bell peppers, cut into strips
- Zest of 1 lemon
Cook bacon in large heavy pot over moderate heat until crisp, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl with a slotted spoon. Brown the beef in batches over high heat in the bacon fat and transfer with a slotted spoon to bowl. Reduce heat to moderate and add oil. Add onions and garlic and sauté until golden, about 8 minutes. Stir in paprika and caraway seeds and cook for 2 minutes. Add bacon, beef, wine, bay leaf and salt. Simmer, covered, for 11/2 hours.
Add peppers, lemon zest and simmer for another 40 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with crusty bread orover wide noodles.