Holiday cookie recipes from the Mid-State Fair top-winning Wiebe family.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening (not margarine)
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, plus more for dipping
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 2-1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
Preheat oven to 350°.
In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter, shortening and sugar until light colored and fluffy. Beat in molasses and eggs; set aside.
In another large bowl, combine flour salt, baking soda, ginger, cloves and cinnamon. Blend thoroughly with wire whisk. Gradually mix flour mixture into creamed ingredients until dough is blended and smooth. Roll dough into 11/2-inch balls. Dip tops in granulated sugar; place 21/2 inches apart on greased cookie sheet. Bake for 11 minutes; do not underbake. Cookies will have crackled tops similar to ginger snaps. Cool on wire rack. Store in tightly covered container to maintain softness.